Nolan has directed movies like Inception, Interstellar and The Batman Trilogy, he is one the most successful directors in Hollywood. All his movies have gained international recognition. Christopher Nolan makes movies that are to be watched more than once. His movies are themed metaphysical and epistemological, he explores concepts like time, space and memory. Nolan’s distinctive style of film making has taken him to new highs.
His first movie Following (1998) gave him a big break and allowed him to go big, which he did with Memento (2000) and got nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. He then made Insomnia (2002) starring big actors, Al Pacino and Robin Williams.
He had already become famous after Insomnia, allowing him to put his hands on Comicbook movies, The Dark Knight Trilogy and the trilogy won hearts all around the globe, Christopher Nolan managed to do something that no other director could do with superhero movies. To me, The Dark Knight stands as the best superhero movie of all time. He also directed Inception and Interstellar which need multiple viewings to understand them completely.
The Prestige (2006) is another good example of how far he goes to intensify his movies. Christopher Nolan’s movies have received 34 Oscar nominations and won 10 Oscars till date. $4.7 billion is the total collection of his movies worldwide.
All movies of Nolan have been ranked from best to worst below, you can vote for the movies you have watched.
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
The Dark Knight (2008)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Prestige (2006)
A few interesting facts about Christopher Nolan
- Out of all the movies he made, The Dark Knight stands as the most successful and influential film. From that movie, Nolan’s favourite scene is the interrogation between Batman and Joker. He said, ‘[that moment] is the fulcrum on which the whole movie turns.’
- Nolan never attended film school, yet his movies look too dope. He wanted to make movies since he was 11 years old. When one has an interest in doing something, learning happens automatically.
- It took Nolan 10 years to write Inception. A whole decade to write a movie is not a joke at all. Seemingly, the movie is complicated and deep-diving into the realm of dreams. He explained:
I realized it had to be more about the human condition and human emotions, and that I had to work on the characters – the things that help an audience connect with the ideas, however crazy they may seem.
- His second movie, Memento (2000) was written while he was on a road trip from Chicago to Los Angeles with his brother, Jonathan who attended psychology class at Georgetown University was interesting in retrograde amnesia. That’s how his second movie came to life.
- Christopher Nolan has no personal email id or a smartphone. He is not even present on social media. He thinks its a distraction from what he does and avoids using them both. He said:
I don’t find [email] would help me with anything I’m doing. I just couldn’t be bothered about it. I actually really like not having [a cell phone] because it gives me time to think…when you have a smartphone, and you have 10 minutes to spare, you go on it and you start looking at stuff.